Choosing A House Style Deciding on the perfect house plan can be a difficult task because the choices and options are endless. From the amount of square footage to the number of bedrooms to whether to include a … Continue reading →
Choosing A House Style
Deciding on the perfect house plan can be a difficult task because the choices and options are endless. From the amount of square footage to the number of bedrooms to whether to include a basement or not, the decisions never stop. To help make the choice a little easier, the first step is to decide on the house style that you’re drawn to the most. Then, use that style to help you pick a specific house plan. Choosing one style out of hundreds may seem impossible but by following the steps below, the whole process will much easier.
Modern Farmhouse Plan 098-000302
Here are some tips for selecting the right house style for you:
Explore the Styles page of our website to visually see the details of each house style. You’ll learn about every style from the classic Craftsman plans to the more Modern plans and every kind of home in between. Use this as a reference page as you start to decide on your optimum house style.
Take a look at your neighborhood. Though you most likely want your home to be unique, you also want it to fit in with its surroundings. Depending upon your neighborhood and the region of the country in which you live, you may want to narrow down styles that fit with the other homes in your neighborhood or surrounding areas.
Craftsman House Plan 1020-00333
Consider your long-term goals. If you really love a certain style, and you have for a long time, go with it! If you think that there is a possibility you may sell your new home in the future, though, consider ranking your selections based upon popularity. It’s best to pick a less specific style if resale value is a concern.
Take a style quiz to help you figure out the best design style for your new home. We scoured the internet to find some of our favorite style quizzes:
- HGTV Quiz To Find Your Design Style: HGTV knows homes and interior design like no other, so what better way of finding your design style than by taking their fun, style quiz! Each question in this quiz is a series of gorgeous photos depicting specific rooms and styles. You choose your favorite option and your choices dictate your preferred house style.
- Apartment Therapy Find Your Style Quiz: With multiple pictures of different rooms and decor objects, choose the corresponding letter of the style that speaks to you. At the end of the quiz the majority of the letters chosen dictates which house style fits you best, so be sure to keep track of your answers!
Coastal House Plan 963-00374
- The Decorist Style Quiz: You start off deciding on which white sofa stands out to you and with each step, you choose the room or design that speaks to you. In the end, the quiz takes that information and tells you the style that best fits your choices.
- PopSugar Decorating Style Quiz: This quiz helps you choose your style, not by just asking you to choose the decorated room you prefer but also by drawing inspiration from your ideal living atmosphere, color preferences, and home exterior designs.
- Lonny Decorating Style Quiz: A simple style quiz will put a name to your personal home style. Are you rustic romantic, country chic, or traditional? By answering similar questions on previous quizzes, Lonny will help guide you to decor matching your style.
- Houzz Decorating Style Quiz: The house legends have created a decorating style quiz! This unique quiz asks very specific and sometimes random questions that somehow decide which house style fits you. Houzz asks everything from what is your ideal pet to where do you want to live.
Modern Farmhouse Plan 6849-00064
Use the answers from these quizzes to help you narrow down the styles you are most drawn to. Once you have your preferred styles, start exploring our over 17,000 house plans to find the perfect home for you. You can also use our blog to help you decide how many bedrooms you need, if you need specific rooms like a mudroom, or if an in-law suite might be a good idea for the future. If you have any questions, visit the About Our Plans section to learn more.